Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Salon

Aveda Institute Atlanta: http://www.avedainstitutesbb.com/atlanta-services.php
I am almost hesitant to recommend this place, as there are just certain things for which you do not want liability. A bad hair cut is one of them. But I went here and despite coming out NOTHING like what I wanted it to, I was constantly reviewing them in my mind and wanted to put the experience into words. As far as Salons go, I have done them all...the Ritz, Las Vegas, a spa in Arizona, Vidal Sassoon, Jamieson Shaw, Van Michael, Hair Cuttery, Cost Cutters, Miss Sarah the Lady's Basement, Joan's house in middle of nowhere Hart County...you get the picture. I have paid $100 and I have paid $4 (Harare,Zimbabwe- shampoo, cut and blowdry!). Yet, I never seem to find that perfect place, that always offers the perfect cut, the perfect experience or the perfect price. Van Michael was getting there, as they offer a New Talents salon, with young up and coming stylists at half the price. But then as soon as you would get settled into a stylist and cut that you liked, he or she (most likely he) would be off to "the floor" and you would start again with someone new. Then they started to build a new parking lot and getting in and out became a nightmare. Then they built a Whole Paycheck right next to it and I would spend $100 on goat cheese and pinot when I went it to "just look around"or wait on traffic to die down. So I can't go back there. Plus, they can be all pretentious, I don't like pretentiousness. It's a hair cut for crying out loud, not plastic surgery. SO! I have driven by the Aveda Institute a million and one times. It's in Buckhead in the same general area as the Disco Kroger AKA Fresh Fare Kroger where the Cost Plus World Market is on Piedmont. It is next to Chipotle. So I finally after some searching find their website and a services menu. I expect there to be a long waiting list and a need to make appointments months in advance. But this is not the case. You can call and most likely get an appointment that same week, within a day or two. Haircuts are $15.00 and Color for long hair is $35, short is $25. So the prices are amazing. And they use all Aveda products of course, so you know the product is good. It is the applier of the product that is the sketchy part. Even though I came out with Jet Black hair...yes, black, I still kinda recommend the place. They make attempts to make it pleasing and a good experience. I was greeted by a young student who wanted to show me a candle and give me a neck massage. It was nice. My student never told me her name, was awkward with small talk and seemed a little unsure of herself, but she appeared to follow all the steps that she had been taught in color application and in the basics of hair trimming. I believe most mistakes were mine, in not properly overseeing or explaining the exact color and using the word "darker" and not stressing my desire to not look like Elvira when I got out of there. I think I should have looked at the swatches with her and approved the color swatch rather than trust her to find something that would work for me. Also, note that you are gonna be in there forever and I do mean forever, take water, a snack, and a book with over 200 pages, because it will take 4 hours of your life. This is not fun. But there is considerable savings involved. And that's a good thing. My girl was also a little insecure and just not confident like the guys at Van Michael who tell you how beautiful you are and how they are gonna make you more sexy than ever. She didn't say any of that. She didn't ask about my love life or gossip about the tabloids...so I missed that. She made me nervous a couple of times when she would ask me about the cut and I had no idea what to tell her to do...that's her job? She also had to go get her supervisor once to make sure she was doing something right and scared me to death. So now I am not so sure I do recommend the place. BUT! if you need a cut, know exactly what you want, aren't too picky, or if you know your color recipe...this is a great place to go. They also offer other spa services (like 1 hour massages for $40!) that could also be really great deals. I came out looking a bit like this...and I am not kidding:

No comments:

Post a Comment